Monday, January 19, 2009

Indecision 2009

I'm ready to start work on my next book. And I'm undecided.

I have several WIPs that I'd like to revive, fix up, and finish. I have several new ideas that I'd like to get going. I also have some short stories my agent suggested I might want to turn into novels, or take the characters and put them into a novel.

And...I can't decide. The time I've spent fretting over the decision is clearly wasted, since I'm no closer to a decision than I was a week ago. I've considered going for whichever one moves me the most, but I love all my babies, so to speak, so that's not working. I tried the dart method -- my dear husband suggested that until he can find something less painful and destructive than a real dart, I should, perhaps, try something else. I don't have a story idea about a sofa, a shattered coffee cup, or a fireplace, so I suppose he's right. I tried writing the titles on pieces of paper and tossing them in the air. I ended up with a mess. And the moment I pulled one out of a hat, that was the very story I didn't want to work on.

Perhaps it's time to try that most effective plan -- just sitting down and doing it. It does help if you know the 'it' you're going to just do, of course. It is a problem.

Yours in somewhat frustrated wonder,
Anita Ensal

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous WKEverhart said...

Sitting down and just doing it is the hardest part. I hate it 'til it's over, then I'm proud as punch! (an old hillbilly expression)

January 20, 2009 at 10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home