Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Coming Out...Wrong

I'm in the middle of a variety of WIPs, one of which is a short story. I like the story only...I think I'm failing it.

What I mean by that is that the story seems so much more electric and interesting in my brain than it's translating onto the page. I know it's me, after all, who else could it be, but I'm not sure where I'm falling short.

I loved my first draft. Then realized that it seemed somewhat obvious, no surprises at the end, so to speak. So I revised. But it made the story too convoluted. Now I'm at it again, trying to make this work in the way it does in my head.

In my mind, these characters are interesting. Some are mysterious, some are in dire need, some are magical, all are three-dimensional. On the page, they're not working right. And the worst part is that I have a feeling they'd be working just fine in a novel -- only I don't think their story warrants novel-length.

So, I'll dive in again and see what can be done. Many times, if necessary. This is, after all, part of the whole writing process. A painful part, to be sure, but still a necessary one.

Yours in frustrated wonder,
Anita Ensal

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous WKEverhart said...

In my mind, all my characters are wonder-tastical. There's not one that I wouldn't recognize if I met them on the street. We have a similar problem...my wonder-tasticals don't come off so hot on the page. I'm working on it myself. Good luck!

March 23, 2009 at 7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home