Saturday, March 28, 2009

Friendly Distance

Well, I'm happy to say that the adages are true. When you're not sure if your piece is ready -- and many times, even if you are -- put it aside for a while and then take another look.

I shelved the fantasy short story I was having trouble with for a few weeks. Took it out last night and re-read it, looking for what to fix. Happily, I believe I solved the problems easily, with the removal of a couple of key lines and the addition of just a little more action.

Now, of course, it's off to my critique partner and beta readers, for them to tell me if they feel I've written a compelling story or merely an okay one that must go back to the drawing board. Or at least the shelf. For a while, anyway.

Yours in relieved wonder,
Anita Ensal

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous WKEverhart said...

Take heart, Anita. A very wise friend of mine forces everything I write into the trunk. She gives me time frames: "Leave it there for a year." "Leave it for six weeks." I've learned that removal from the forebrain makes the hindbrain take over when they're de-trunked, and after all, the hindbrain really writes everything.:D

April 4, 2009 at 9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home